As the 2016 year comes to a close and we get ready for the New Year (2017), it is important that we take time to reflect on the past year. One of the most exciting aspects of the 2016 year for me was the acceleration of my speaking career. As I looked back on 2016, I thought I’d share a few tips that might help you get your own speaking career a boost. A shout out to Marci Shimoff who introduced me to the concept of “Intention, Attention, No Tension” in her amazing book, Happy for No Reason. I’m thrilled to be participating in Marci’s Inner Circle for her Year of Miracles course in 2017. I will keep you posted on that amazing journey!
Tip #1: Set the intention. Folks, you need to set your goal. Measurable, attainable, yet in the “uncomfortable” zone. My goal was to match my number of speaking gigs for 2015 (n=14), because I also was planning a book blog tour, a new book release, lots of media interviews, and the launch of my own podcast in 2017. So 14 felt like a good number. Hitting 21 was pretty cool (150% of goal). But the travel took a toll on me, and I’m keeping that in consideration while setting my 2017 goal (see more on that below).
Tip #2: Pay the intention some attention. You can’t just set your goal and take no action. I had a Work Plan that required me to do at least 15 “steps” a week towards getting speaking gigs. There were days and weeks when I didn’t want to follow up. So I highlighted those steps in yellow in my Work Plan and didn’t allow myself to do other mundane things (like check email or go on social media) until I had finished those tasks. It’s the small, baby steps that allow you to go the distance. Create an accountability plan, or get an accountability partner, if you need to.
Tip #3: Let go of tension. Once you set your goal and put a plan of action in place (and are taking some action), allow the universe to do a little bit of the work for you. If you push, push PUSH all the time, you will get exhausted. Other people will also get really sick of hearing from you. So allow some “white space” in your action plan to be open and receptive to ideas and opportunities that come your way. As I look through my list of gigs for 2016 (which I’ve noted with dates below), about 70% of those gigs I hustled for, and about 30% came my way because I was receptive to ideas and “listening to the universe”.
In 2017, I’m setting the intention of doing more virtual speaking, and I’m ramping up my offerings on Geniecast. Check out my debut program and their amazing services. I’ll be adding 8 more programs in the month of January.
I also have some coaching spots if you’d like some customized support to meet your goals. Let’s sync our calendars!
What’s your speaking goal for 2017?
Here’s my calendar for meeting 150% of goal in 2016 (Okay, now I know why I’m sleeping a lot over the holidays!).
2016 talks (in reverse order)
1. Webinar for the Independent Book Publishers Association. Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 at 11am.
Topic: How to Get Publicity for Your Book, Even on a Shoestring Budget.
2. Presentation at the Boise Public Library. Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 4:30pm.
Topic: Growth Planning with the TEN Analysis. This presentation was in support of the Idaho NonProfit Center.
3. Rainbow Day at Bigwood Preschool! October 17, 2016.
4. Workshop at the Nonprofit Center 13th Annual Statewide Conference. Friday, September 23, 2016 at 9:15am MST. Topic: I hope I fall/fail! Learning to embrace failures as stepping stones to success for your non-profit organization.
5. Keynote Address for the Advocates Lunch. Wednesday, September 21st at 12:00 noon MST. Topic: Volunteer for a healthier, fuller life.
6. Women’s Success Summit. Sunday, September 4th, 2016 5pm MST. Topic: Increasing Success in Your Career through Failure.
7. Presentation at Zenergy health club (August 22, 2016. 11am-noon). Living well as a family! See update and photos.
8. Presentation at the Community Library. Give it a Go, Eat a Rainbow. July 27, 2016. Ketchum, ID [see poster]
9. Parent and child talk at Hidden Springs Elementary School, Boise, ID. Healthy Eating is fun! June 24, 2016. [see poster]
10. Keynote for the Employer Advisory Council of Twin Falls, Idaho. Friday, June 10th, 2016 at 8am. St. Luke’s hospital. Start with Your Strengths. Trends in Corporate Wellness. Read the follow up to the Presentation.
11. Keynote for Society for Human Resources Management of South Central Idaho. Thursday, June 9th, 2016 at noon. College of Southern Idaho campus, Taylor room. How to Succeed in HR Management, even when you’re headed for the cliff. Read the follow-up to the meeting.
12. Featured Speaker at the 2016 Sun Valley Wellness Festival. Memorial Day weekend. Unleash Your Inner Super Hero: Secrets from Olympic Athletes on Living Your Fullest Life. Learn more here.
14. Rainbow Day at Community School, Sun Valley, IDApril 29, 2016.
15. Panel presentation at Publishing University, Salt Lake City, UT. Your Publishing DNA. April 8, 2016. Listen to the presentation as a podcast.
16. Book Talk at Sun Valley Village. Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 4pm. Learn more here.
17. Book Talk with the DIVAS. Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 6pm. Read more.
18. Presentation at the Valley of the Tetons Public Library (Driggs Branch). Thursday, January 28 , 2016 at 6pm. Topic: Positivity Begets Success. Get ready to laugh as we turn potential “failures” into success stories that will get you inspired. Read more here.
19. Book Talk with the VAMPS. Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 6pm. Lots of great eating and sharing. Everyone wanted recipes! Read more here.
20. Presentation at the Twin Falls YMCA. Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 11:00am. Making Healthy Eating Fun! This presentation will be in support of Activate Magic Valley and Cabin Fever Day. Access my handout.
21. Presentation at Zenergy Health Club and Spa (Ketchum, ID). Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 5pm. Inspiration for the New Year. Read the coverage from the local press.
2015 talks (in reverse order)
1. Presentation at the Community Library (Ketchum, ID).
Wednesday, December 30 , 2015 at 5pm. Principles for Success from our Mountains. This talk offers an engaging and inspirational view of the “accelerated classroom” experience of learning to ski as an adult in the mountains. Get ready to laugh at failure and success stories that will apply to all walks of life. Listen to a radio interview about this event.
2. Book Signing at Dolly’s Book Store in Park City, UT. Friday, December 11, 2015 at 6pm. Mountain Mantras: How Nature Teaches Us to Live Fully
More laugh out loud stories of failure and success as Kathryn shares stories from the book and lessons learned. Listen to coverage of this event on Park City’s NPR station, WPCW.
3. Book Signing at Rediscovered Books in Boise, Idaho. Thursday, December 3, 2015 6-8pm. Mountain Mantras: Lessons from Olympians and our Mountains. Read more about this event at this blog post and on FaceBook.
4. Book Talk at The Book Stall in Winnekta, IL
Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 3pm. Mountain Mantras: How Nature Teaches Us to Live Fully
More laugh out loud stories of failure and success as Kathryn shares stories from the book and lessons learned.
Learn more about The Book Stall
5. Community gathering/book talk/party
Wednesday November 18th, 2015. 5-7pm
Held at the Ketchum Innovation Center, Ketchum, Idaho
Topic: Lessons from the Wild
An evening of mulled wine, nibbles, and great conversation. Don’t miss Matt Leidecker’s White Clouds series in honor of the Wilderness designation. More info here.
6. Book signing and storytelling at Barnes and Noble.
Saturday, November 14, 2015. Noon-3pm.
Barnes and Noble store, Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls Idaho
Topic: What Mountains and Olympians Can Teach You About Wellness and Life.
Get ready for impromptu story telling as Kathryn shares her wisdom for good health and life success.
7. Workshop at Boise Public Library. Thursday, October 29 , 2015 at 7pm.
Topic: The Smile Advantage: Principles for Success from our Mountains. This talk offers an engaging and inspirational view of the “accelerated classroom” experience of learning to ski as an adult in the Idaho mountains. Get ready to laugh at failure and success stories that will apply to all walks of life.
8. Celebrate REAL Food on National Food Day
Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 10am.
Topic: Play Games and Learn about How Fun it is to be Healthy!
A taste of homemade granola and games adds to the Food Fair at teh Wood River Valley YMCA, 101 Saddle Road, Ketchum Idaho.
Learn more about CSPI’s Food Day.
9. Workshop at the College of Southern Idaho, Hailey.
Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6pm. How to Avoid Food Fights and Make Healthy Eating Fun!
Get ready to laugh at real stories of failure and success as Kathryn shares her own framework for moderation and wisdom for good health. Call to reserve your spot: (208) 788-2033
10. Workshop in Partnership with Fast and Female, Park City, Utah (USSA Center for Excellence)
Sunday, October 4, 2015 1-4pm. Be Well! Three Key Action Steps for Your Family’s Good Health.
Fast & Female is Proud to Present an Afternoon of Athletic Inspiration and Fun Hosted by Olympians, World Champions, and USSA International Stars for Girls 8-18! Join USSA female athletes for an afternoon of fun! Learn from these International stars through games, athletic activities, and inspirational stories. You’ll have a chance to hang out with your heroes, meet other girls interested in sports, and learn about life as a professional athlete. All of your favorite winter sports will be represented. Kathryn will be speaking to parents about action steps for healthy family living. Information about the event can be found here.
11. Seminar at the College of Southern Idaho, Hailey.
Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5pm.
Title: Feel Your Best: Nutrition Tips and Time-Saving Cooking Secrets. Food is fuel, and it can be fun and delicious too. In this hands-on class tailored especially for seniors, we’ll be tasting recipes and learning time saving strategies for making easy yet nutritious breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Make meal planning fun, relaxed and easy.
Call to reserve your spot: (208) 788-2033
12. Workshop with St. Luke’s Center for Community Health, Community Campus, Hailey.
Tuesday, September 29th, 2015 at 7pm.
Title: Your Slow Cooker Just Might Save Your Life. This interactive class for the YEAH program participants will be fun and hands-on. Participants will receive their very own slow cooker along with instructions for use and easy, healthy and delicious recipes. Class is by invitation only (St. Luke’s CCH).
13. Workshop at the Nonprofit Center 12th Annual Statewide Conference. Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 9:15am. The Smile Advantage: Three Principles for Success in Nonprofit Management. This presentation offers a fresh, energizing, and commonsense way for non-profits to increase productivity and success in a challenging market. This highly interactive presentation sets up non-profit participants for improvements in their own lives and for their organizations through the application of these three principles and corresponding action items.
14. Workshop at the Wood River YMCA Greenhouse. Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 3:30pm. Super Spinach is a Glorious Green. This presentation will be a short and fun introduction to the benefits of spinach. We will include a demonstration and tasting of a “Shrek Smoothie” (always a crowd pleaser).
Read more about the YMCA greenhouse educational project.